Tuesday, February 23, 2010

simple table fort

fort

I made a simple table cover so the kiddos could have a fun fort to play in on rainy days. This project took 8 yards of unbleached muslin and a few hours of sewing.

It's made of three pieces of fabric: one on the top and two on the sides (this creates a doorway on each short end of the table). I measured my table (length=L, width=W, height=H) and cut out one piece L+1" x W+1", and two pieces L+W+6" x H+2". I finished the short ends of the side pieces by turning under 0.5" and sewing, then turning under 0.5" and sewing again. Then I attached the two side pieces to the top piece by matching the centers of the long sides and continuing around, using a 0.5" seam allowance, and overlapping the two side pieces with each other to create the doors. Then I finished the piece by sewing the seam allowances down and hemming the bottom edges so that the sides just reach to the floor.

fort too

The kids love it!

No comments: