Monday, May 3, 2010
Pip's redwork quilt
I finished Pip's redwork quilt last week and finally got a chance to take some (not great) pictures this weekend after washing it. The finished quilt is 47" square, which is a bit big for a baby quilt, but I figure it will be good for lying on top of at first and leaves room to grow.
This is my own design, a nine-patch of nine-patches, with each of the blocks using 8 red & white prints around a center panel of hand embroidery. The embroidered designs were drawn by Sean. They are a mushroom, hedgehog, hotdog, cardinal, Fokker Dr.1 triplane (the Red Baron's plane), dinosaur, ketchup, lobster and cherries. Closer shots of all the embroidered motifs can be seen here.
I did the quilting in straight lines making boxes within the blocks, and intersecting lines in the sashing (can you tell I was thinking a lot about squares while making this?). There is also one line of hand quilting outlining the triplane, and some straight lines radiating out from the center of that block. The binding is the same small polka dot you can see in the main blocks.
For the backing, I used a large piece of slightly heavier fabric that I cut off the bottom of our bedroom curtains. It's actually red and off-white, but I love the print and it works with the binding (and I'm hoping the sturdier fabric will help it last longer since I'm planning on using it as a park blanket).
I'm working on getting the pattern/instructions for the quilt written up, and will have it available for purchase (with or without the embroidery patterns) soon.
I'm also working on getting better pics, because these backyard jobbies are not cutting it. But I wanted to post something because I am very proud of this quilt!